Jump to section
Additional Department Information
- AP CHEM Lab (for High School students)
- DeLaMare Library
- Course Placement and Advising
- Chemistry Resources
- Friends & Alumni
- Research Lab Safety
- UNR Chemistry Wiki page (local access only)
- Departmental Intranet (local access only)
- Faculty Intranet (authorized access only)
Apply for an assistantship and graduate study in Chemistry/Chemical Physics
→ Go APPLY ONLINE now!
Applying online is simple and permits rapid consideration of your application! First read through the items listed below under General Information. Note that to complete your application file it is necessary to request letters of recommendation, test scores, and transcripts to be mailed to us. Second, read through the Online Application Tips before you begin work on the Application Form.
The following application for Graduate Studies in Chemistry and Chemical Physics is an application for admission to the department's graduate program and an application for financial support in the form of fellowships and/or research and teaching assistantships. Note that prospective students must also apply to the University of Nevada, Reno, Graduate School for formal admission to Graduate Standing.
Chemistry Department applications are reviewed continuously throughout the year. All credentials must be received by June 1 for Fall semester enrollment. However, for full consideration you should plan for all your materials to arrive much earlier, as our entering class may fill well in advance of this deadline.
In addition to submission of the Online Application Form, you must also request the following items to be forwarded directly to the Chemistry Department:
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your accomplishments. Request for recommendation forms (PDF format) are available at http://www.chem.unr.edu/graduates/pdfs/webrecform.pdf.
- Transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
- Copies of GRE General scores should be sent to the Chemistry Department.
These materials should be sent to:
Graduate Admissions Committee
Department of Chemistry
University of Nevada
Reno, NV 89557-0216
Please note that the Graduate School requires official transcripts and official GRE scores as part of the application. However, you may send copies (i.e., unofficial copies) of these documents directly to the department to assist in our evaluation of your application.
Special instructions for foreign applicants only:
Foreign applicants for whom English is a second language must also send copies of TOEFL scores to the Chemistry Department.
You must also apply directly to the University of Nevada, Reno, Graduate School for admission to Graduate Standing. Please go to their web site and follow the instructions for international student applications. Please note the the Graduate School will require official TOEFL scores directly from ETS. However, you may send copies (i.e., unofficial copies) of these documents directly to the department to assist in our evaluation of your application.
Formal admission to the university is ultimately contingent upon the submission of a non-refundable application fee (in the form of a check or money order made payable to the “Board of Regents”). The application fee for domestic applicants is $60 (or $40 for alumni or returning applicants). The application fee for foreign applicants is $95.
Instruction for submission of the application fee may be found on the Graduate School page.
Online Application Tips
- If a printer is available, consider printing the application form before filling in your information. For many people a printed copy helps to clarify the structure of the document and identify what information is required.
- Once you begin, take care not to hit the [RELOAD] button on your browser. This may result in the loss of the information you have entered.
- There are two steps to the application process.
- Step 1: Fill out the application form and then select [CONTINUE] at the bottom of the form. A new page with a reformatted representation of the information you entered will appear.
- Step 2: Review your information on this second page and then select [FINISH] to submit the application form. You must complete both steps in order for us to receive your application. You will receive an acknowledgement after you have successfully completed the procedure.
- Select the [APPLY ONLINE] link below, and take your time filling out the application. If you have the necessary information on hand the process should be quick and easy! There are additional instructions on the Application Form which will help to guide you through the process.
- If you have difficulties, please contact the Graduate Admissions Committee at (gradchem.unr.edu).