Sierra Nevada Local Section
American Chemical Society
The ACS Sierra Nevada Section encompasses Carson, Churchill, Douglas, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing, Storey, and Washoe counties in northwestern
Nevada. Most section activities and meetings are held in
the Reno/Sparks area.
Dinner Meeting Announcement
Monday, March 3, 2014
Professor Hongfei Lin of the Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, will be presenting an informal talk on technologies for the reduction and storage of carbon dioxide.
See the flyer linked above for an abstract and bio of the speaker.
Dandelion Deli & Cafe, 1170 S. Wells (near Wonder St.), social gathering 5:30p.m., dinner 6:00 p.m., presentation about 7 p.m. Choices of entree: Sherry Chicken or Vegetarian Lasagna; $15 members and guests or $10 for students.
Please RSVP by Wednesday, Feburary 26, with choice of entree to Kent Ervin
2013 Section Meetings & Events
December 6, 2013, Annual Holiday Reception and Winetasting Event honoring 50-year ACS members.
- March 11, 2013 "Multispectra Measurements of Aerosl Optics: Climate and Health Applications" Professor W. Pat Arnott, Department of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
- March 23, 2013, Chemistry Olympiad Local Exam, Coral Academy of Science (co-sponsor)
- April 12, 2013, Chemistry Olympiad National Exam, UNR
- May 19, 2013, High School Chemistry and Physics Awards, Program: "Future Careers at NASA: The best of the Hubble and what the James Webb Space Telescope will do in 2018". Dr. Rogier Windhorst, Arizona State University.
- August 7, 2013,
Environmental Developments in the 2013 NV
Legislative Session: What passed, what didn't, and
what will the future bring?,
Assemblyman Skip Daly (Joint meeting with AWMA)
- September 16, 2013, Greening in our community: Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy, and Single Stream Recycling, Jason Geddes, Environmental Services Adminsitrator, City of Reno (Joint meeting with AWMA)
- November 18, 2013, Sierra Nevada ACS Distinguished Chemistry Lectures, Professor Melanie Sanford, Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan
Section Officers (2013)
The Sierra Nevada Distinguished Chemist Award
This award and lectureship is awarded biennially by the Sierra
Nevada Section of the American Chemical Society to a scientist who has
made major contributions to Chemistry. The award was first given in
1993: Professor Dudley R. Hershbach, Harvard University
1995: Professor Harry B. Gray, California Institute of Technology
1997: Professor W. Carl Lineberger, University of Colorado, Boulder
1999: Professor George M. Whitesides, Harvard University
2001: Professor Richard N. Zare, Stanford University
2003: Professor Graham Fleming, University of California, Berkeley
2005: Professor Jack Norton, Columbia University
2007: Professor Maurice Brookhart, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2009: Professor Kenneth D. Karlin, Johns Hopkins University
2011: Professor Alan Balch, University of California, Davis
2013: Professor Melanie Sanford, University of Michigan
Officers and programs from previous years.